Sunday 4 November 2012

How to make a plaster mold of a hand

I've been struggling with the all 'my world' thing. Too much thinking and no doing. I got trapped with my thoughts, tried to develop my ideas but didn't seem to find anything touchable in them. I'm too limited with my ideas as I've been doing photographing and only photographing art recently. Well, last 4 years. Just a little bit painting and that's it.

So.

Something needed to be done.


I transformed me ideas to a sentence. It reminds me of a very important and close person in my life. It is something I need to remember. I wrote it on a piece of paper and closed the paper in my fist.

The things you need to make a plaster mold:

  • water
  • 2 bowls or buckets
  • a whisk
  • a bag of alginate
  • pottery plaster




Mix alginate and water in a bowl following the instructions on the bag.

Place your had into the bowl. Make sure the hand doesn't touch the bowl and move your hand gently - air bubbles in your fist and around it will come out.



Wait until the mass feels rubbery and tight and pull your hand out carefully. The mass may rip a little bit.


 Mix pottery plaster and water and pour it into the mold. Shake the bowl to ensure it is everywhere in the mold and all air bubbles come out. Wait until it is hard.


Take the mass out of the bowl and rip it open carefully.






 You have a fully detailed copy of your hand. There is a piece of paper hided in the plaster in the hand on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment